Monday, March 16, 2009

Late to the party.

I've been on a bit of a break from news and politics as I got settled into my new job and the various routines that must inevitably come with it (for example, no more "Bar Night!" every day of the week), so I missed a lot of news and happenings last week and over the weekend.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but let's take a look at this anyway:

Leaders of the White House economic team and the Senate's top Republican bellowed about bonuses at a bailed-out insurance giant and pledged to prevent such payments in the future.

From one Sunday talk show to the next, they tore into the contracts that American International Group asserted had to be honored, to the tune of about $165 million and payable to executives by Sunday — part of a larger total payout reportedly valued at $450 million.


That's a lot of money that's going to the employees largely responsible for AIG's collapse. It really makes me think that I got into the wrong profession.

I think it's funny that Mitch McConnell is all upset about this shit. For all his posturing and arm-waving, this shithead misses the boat completely. Anyone with any honesty can see that this is a direct result of the deregulation his fellow Republicans clamored for and received. How's that working out for you, Mitchy? Probably much better than the people who lost everything.

Anyway, this compensation should surprise no one. Corporations who have in the past received bailout money turned around and spent it on extravagant getaways, resorts and obscene bonuses. Handing over billions of dollars with no oversight turns out to have been not so smart after all.

I understand why Americans are pissed off, but the government? Mitchy? The President's Economic Team? Are they all that fucking stupid? They gave billions of dollars to criminals and shitheads and promised no oversight or regulation as to how they used those funds.

What did they think was going to happen?

No comments: